NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS - 5 TIPS TO GET AFTER 2024

Options
tonywodarck
tonywodarck Member Posts: 24

The best way to have great stories is by planning great adventures. Here are five tips for you to plan better for 2024. As they say, preparation is the key to success.

Get an adventure buddy

“If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together”

One of the best ways to get after planning for a fun year is to find someone to do it alongside you. They'll help you push yourself, stay on track, and get after the fun adventures ahead.

Dream Big

Make some big goals for the year. Whatever that is for you. Write down a few ideas and discuss them with your adventure buddy. See what you align on.

Schedule your adventures

Get your permits, your camp sites, whatever you need to get after it. Getting something on the calendar is the best way to make your dreams a reality.

Gear Up

I assume you're a bit of a gear junky if you're here reading this. One of the best ways to inspire you to get out there is to have the right gear. What piece are you missing from your kit? Can't afford it? Find some stuff around the garage you're not using any more and sell it.

Track your progress

One of the best ways to keep yourself accountable is to track your progress. I have been loving Strava to make sure I'm keeping myself on track for my fitness goals. Keeping myself at peak fitness is one massive step to helping me get after the adventures I'm planning for 2024.

Here are a few examples of my 2024 list:

1. Run 1,000 miles. If I run 20 miles a week for 52 weeks, I'll hit this. This should be no problem at the 30-40 miles pace I've been on lately, but really holds myself to staying consistent, which was the biggest issue I faced in 2023.
  2. Lead a 5.11 Route Outdoors. Considering I haven't climbed 5.10 yet, this is a semi-big goal. It will take me putting a lot more time in on lead, which has been hard for me to find the time to do. Luckily there's a new gym opening in my area that will have lead climbing.
  3. Prone Paddle a Channel Crossing. The obvious one is from Catalina to Orange County since it's right here in my backyard. I'd also love to do Molokai to Oahu, but that might be a year or two before I'm ready for that. This is another one that's going to take a lot of time and consistency on the water.
  4. Run up Santiago Peak. This peak is the largest one in our backyard and I stare at it daily. It sits at 5,689 ft. The route to summit is about 13-14 miles and close to 5,000ft of elevation gain. I'm getting a lot closer to those numbers. Just need to stay consistent and get after it.
  5. Summit Mt. Whitney. Not sure if this is going to happen in 2024. But this is a big goal for me, and I'll need to see if there is someone who wants to do it with me.
  6. TCT - Trans Catalina Trail. This is just shy of 40 miles and seems like a fun 2.5 day hike. Was planning on doing this in October of 2023 but life got in the way. Will definitely do this in 2024.

I hope these tips help! Would love to hear any adventures you have planned for 2024. Drop them in the comments below.

Follow me on Instagram and Strava.