SUMMER '23 CHECK-IN: WHAT'S YOUR GEAR BEEN UP TO LATELY?

Options
MARK SIREK
MARK SIREK Administrator Posts: 298
edited July 2023 in OUR STORIES

Photo: @spmartin

Whatever methods you use to date and measure the season, there's no doubt it sure feels like and looks like summer here in the states!

While it's been raining seemingly non-stop here in Maine, the trailhead lots are still full of stickered-up Subarus, and backpackers are making the best of the situation. At the very least, it's worth it just to get into the woods and revel in every shade of green imaginable!

Photo: @spmartin  

What's been happening in your region? What have you and your gear been up to? Visiting favorite spots? Discovering new ones? Trying out new equipment for the first time? Inquiring minds want to know! Post your reports and pics here!

Photo: @snechemias

Comments

• bugglife
    bugglife Member Posts: 99
    Options

I've been taking my new Elevate 22 for a few spins around the Desert Southwest over the course of May and June. But it's getting a little toasty now, so I'm headed up to Washington for the first time in a few weeks. Looking forward to seeing more photos of other adventures to keep me stoked while I day dream at my desk.

• Cozzens11
    Cozzens11 Member, Administrator Posts: 2
    Options

Finished the Long Trail this past weekend with all my HMG gear!

• AustinHager
    AustinHager Member Posts: 34
    Options

The spring and summer has been amazing here in BC. I've been out of several trips already, and have fallen in love with my new ultamid 2, it's freaking bombproof palace.

My latest trip was here in the Kokanee range of the Kootenays, we scored on some amazing weather.

Earlier in the year I was in the North Cascades in Cathedral Provincial Park

Next up I will be heading to the Rockies to complete a section on the Great Divide Trail. I will have more pictures up next week!

• bugglife
    Options

@AustinHager I always love your photos, and they're especially refreshing right now, when the predicted LOW in Phoenix for the next week is 91ºF (38ºC). If you take a wide angle lens out on the trail with you, I would love to see a photo from the inside of the ultamid looking out on some epic vistas. I'll check back soon!

• AustinHager
    Options

@bugglife I didn't see this by the time I left but here are some shots from the trip with the Mid 1!

• bugglife
    Options

@AustinHager Now it's my turn to apologize. I was out on the trail in Washington for a bit, but am back now. Your photos are great - thanks for sharing! I had a perfect campsite with an epic view of Mt. Olympus (first shot below) that could have provided a epic "through-the-front-door-at-sunrise" shot...except a tree had fallen right where I wanted to pitch my tent. So I had to settle for the second shot below instead. Not bad, but not what I was hoping for, either. Super happy to have the mosquito netting for the bugs tho!

• JusttUsSki
    JusttUsSki Member Posts: 1
    Options

Just finished a 75 mile segment of the via alpina ( aka. The High Road) in Switzerland. My wife and I were celebrating our ten year anniversary. We stayed in alpine hüttes. I used my hyperlite ice pack. We averaged 11 miles a day with most days exceeding 4,000’ off ascent and 4,000 feet of decent. Two days were well over 5000. Including a trip up to Fründen hütte above lake Oescinensee, arguably the most breathtaking alpine lake on earth. This hütte was accessed by via Ferrata, the staff and guests were amazing. We stopped at the lake on the way back down. And instead of the standard Instagram poses and Tom foolery we opted to bathe! Lol. I was amazed at the packs water protection after a previous segment we completed in the rain. So I decided to take it for a swim( link below). Not only did it keep all my goods bone dry but it actually acted as a floatation device!!! Best pack ever!!!

https://youtu.be/LlQkH1JD2_0

• MARK SIREK
    Options

@JusttUsSki SO RAD! And Happy Anniversary!

• tina
    tina Member, Moderator Posts: 56
    Options

Just wrapped my first 1,000 miles on the CDT. Looking forward to 1,000+ more!

• AustinHager
    Options

Back again! since my last post I've been on several trips including the North Circle Loop in Glacier National Park, Montana and also a trip up near me in the Purcell Mountain Range at the toe of the Macbeth Icefield.

Here are some shots from Montana:

Here are some shots from the Purcells:

• MARK SIREK
    Options

Dang, @AustinHager - livin' life right!

• swbugas
    swbugas Member Posts: 46
    Options

My Elevate came today. Really looking forward to getting out and moving fast in the mountains with it. Lots of backpacking this year, and now it feels like time for some extra big days moving a little faster!

• bugglife
    Options

@AustinHager - thanks for sharing and reminding me that there are other places where it's not 115º like it is here in PHX. I got rained out of some really excellent Zion canyoneering permits a few weeks ago (flash flood risks) but was able to do some consolation canyons in the area. This weekend is also looking flash floody in S UT, so I'll be heading to CA instead and hope to do a few canyoneering day trips there with friends. (@swbugas - probably in my Elevate!). I'll try to post photos next week. In the meantime, here are two good shots I got from UT a few weeks ago.

First setup of my Unbound 2P. Roomier than my Big Agnes Copper Spur, at less than half the weight, and much smaller package all folded up.

My buddy on rappel in S UT. After lending him my packs for a while, he pulled the trigger on a North Rim last year. I think he'd prefer it to have a bladder sleeve / opening, but he likes the waterproofness for when we are packrafting and durability for canyon brasion.