HIKER HUNGER HANDBOOK – LET’S MAKE A COOKBOOK!

MARK SIREK
MARK SIREK Administrator Posts: 293
edited September 2022 in EXPERT ADVICE

Hello, Trailheaders! We’d like to propose a community-sourced project that will benefit all of us outdoor explorer types–especially those who sometimes work up an appetite in the midst of big adventures. Show of hands–anyone here get hungry backpacking, trail running, paddling, pedaling, what-have-you? That’s what we thought.

Let’s start a big ol’ thread of our favorite recipes to combat rumbly tum-tums outside. We can keep it somewhat organized by labeling each post by one of these categories:

Desperate Lazy Snarfing – Quick and easy food bombs that saved you when you were dyin’ out there, and actually turned out to be tasty enough to make again.

Call a Doctor – Almost complete meals that you fixed up. Start with one Mountain House X, add a Knorr side dish, chop a summer sausage – you get the idea. This is the spot for all of you who can’t leave well enough alone.

Envy of the Shelter – These are the recipes that start before the adventure begins. Those of you with dehydrators and freezer bag mix ‘n match masterpieces or have embraced the REpack lifestyle, this is where to share your creative genius.

Rise ‘N Shine – Breakfast fuel-ups! All your favorite things to fire up the mileage machine in the mornings.

On The Go – Snacks in motion! Bars, mixes – even drinks. Anything to fill in the gaps between bigger meals.

Pictures make everything better, so add those too if you got ‘em!

In the future, after this discussion turns into the triple crown of buffet lines, we’ll look at ways to get it sorted out and organized–maybe a downloadable PDF or something along those lines.

There have been a number of food-related threads already generously shared here in The Trailhead - THANK YOU! – feel free to repost any of those gems in this thread, too.

LET’S EAT!

Comments

• dirtbagfancy
    dirtbagfancy Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2022

On the Go

Dehydrated pineapple with teriyaki jerky, great on its own or rolled up in a tortilla with cheese and hot sauce reminiscent of al pastor. Courtesy of Ricky D in Girdwood!

• Moondancer
    Moondancer Member Posts: 1

Tuna packet with chopped cucumber and sweet peppers, mixed with Yum Yum sauce (I found a single serving cup at the dollar store) on tortillas.

• nirwin
    nirwin Member Posts: 22

OK OK OK.... Don't diss it til you've tried it...

Now hear me out here...

Tuna & Nutella Wrap. Or Peanut butter and Tuna wrap.

That is all.

• MARK SIREK

@nirwin I'll need some time to digest that one

• Wheezer65
    Wheezer65 Member Posts: 1

Pecan & Maple Granola

Ingredients:

3/4 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup raw nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts, etc.)

1/4 cup unsweetened coconut shreds

1/4 cup dried cranberries

1 Tablespoon oil ( I use hemp seed oil)

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons dried milk - divided (dried coconut milk adds a nice subtle flavor)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    2. Mix everything (except dried milk) in large bowl.
    3. Spread mixture on lined baking sheet.
    4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning pan around 1/2 way through.
    5. Cool and split between 2 bags.
    6. Add 1 Tablespoon milk to each bag.

At camp, add a small amount of water (1/3 cup or so) to bag and squish to combine. Enjoy!

• ninacnm
    ninacnm Member Posts: 3

Easy breakfast

This can be done as a cold soak or when you're ready to eat.

I do bicycle travel and bike packing. I also have a number of food issues. I can't eat gluten or oats. This recipe will work with quick oats but I use quinoa flakes.

1/4 cup quick oats or quinoa flakes to 1 cup water. add your favorite dry fruits like craisins, currents, raisins, dry blueberries or any combination there of. Your preference and imagination. Add powdered maple, brown sugar, date sugar or other sweetener. You can also add powdered milk or milk substitute to up the protein.

I add the hot water in camp and stir. If you have an insulated mug that's perfect. Or wrap it up in a towel or other insulating material.

Now make your coffee. By the time the coffee has brewed, the quinoa flakes are soft, warm and ready to eat.

• Killdeer
    Killdeer Member Posts: 3

Quick Breakfast:

Most of you probably know this one, but I will post it for the one or two who don't

Add two packages of Carnation Breakfast Essentials ( I prefer Chocolate ), 1 Packet of Instant Coffee ( I recommend Tasters Choice Hazelnut ) and ( if you can get it ) 2 Ounces of Powdered Milk. Make sure the Milk is NOT Powdered Skim Milk, which has no Fat ( which you need on a through hike )

Shake REALLY well and enjoy.

• david
    david Member Posts: 2

Envy of the shelter: Bacon, Buffalo and Beef Jerky

For jerky here's what I have been doing.

I've been using a Cosori, 6 shelf dehydrator.

https://cosori.com/products/premium-stainless-steel-food-dehydrator-cp267-fd

For jerky, I've been using 3 different kinds of meat; bacon, ground buffalo and beef. 2 lbs of meat for each. Usually there will be extra bacon. For the bacon it's essential it's a thicker cut, apple wood smoked (Whole Foods has). In the dehydrator, I put the bacon tray on the top and the forth tray down, the buffalo, the second and fifth down, the beef, the third and sixth position.

For the bacon and beef , I use recipes from the book that came with the dehydrator. With the bacon, the last batch I added three tablespoons of dark roast coffee (could also use decaf) and I liked it a lot. 

It may be necessary to put a plastic mesh screen (that comes with the dehydrator) on a paper towel on the bottom catch pan. There can be a bit of fat dripping from the bacon, that can overfill the tray. If the ground coffee is used in the bacon recipe, that seems not to happen, as the coffee absorbs the fat. I've been dehydrating all of this at 165 f for 7 hours. It's possible one can get by with less time in.

Breakfast Bacon Recipe (Cosori - quadrupled from the book)

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried sage

4 teaspoons light brown sugar

4 teaspoons ground fennel

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

3 tablespoons dark roast coffee (my addition)

Sprinkle the seasoning liberally on each side of the bacon.

Ground buffalo jerky

(I couldn't find a recipe I liked for ground meat. This comes from ideas of a few different recipes. It seems like a hit)

2 lbs ground buffalo meat

1/2 cup soy sauce

4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

4 tablespoons mesquite liquid smoke

2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Roasted Beef Base (Organic)

2 tablespoons Emeril's essence (minus the salt)

(Emeril's Essence Recipe -

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano

1 tablespoon dried thyme)

https://www.emerils.com/120057/emerils-essence-creole-seasoning

It might help to drop the soy sauce to 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) to cut down on salt. I haven't tried it yet.

For the beef:

Jamaican Jerky Recipe (Cosori)

2 pounds top round roast

1/2 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup distilled white vinegar

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons onion powder

2 teaspoons dried thyme

2 teaspoons ginger, grated

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

4 garlic cloves, grated.

Marinate for 12 hours or overnite.

• MARK SIREK

@david Whoa! Thanks, David! This stuff looks delicious!

• david
    david Member Posts: 2

Thanks 🙂

• lconley01
    lconley01 Member Posts: 4

Envy of the Shelter-

Real Breakfast Burritos

At home scramble 3 eggs, add sausage crumbles, cheddar cheese, mushrooms, salt and anything else you want.

Freeze it in a Ziplock screw top container.

On the first morning, the eggs will be thawed out, scramble it and wrap it in a tortilla.

The Ziplock container will be used for cold soaking the rest of the trip.

• MARK SIREK

@lconley01 A little first morning reward for gettin' out there - I like it.

• lconley01

Beef and Bean Burrito

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground beef

½ cup plain bread crumbs

1 package taco seasoning

1 15 oz can black beans or chili beans

1/4 cup rice

Powdered Sour Cream

Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Directions

Mix the bread crumbs with the beef and brown the beef, drain grease.

Put back in the pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil.

Pour beef in a colander and rinse under hot water to remove as much grease as possible.

Put back in skillet and follow instructions on seasoning package. When it come to a boil, add beans and rice and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add more water as needed.

Dehydrate:

If you're using a dehydrator, use a fine fruit rollup tray.

Dehydrate at 160 F for 10 - 12 hours.

Separate into 5 ounce portions for 2 burritos

Add 1 tablespoon powdered sour cream

Rehydrate:

Beans may take a little longer to rehydrate. If you have time, pour water ½ inch over top of meal and cold soak for 1-2 hours and then bring to a boil and let it sit in a cozy.

Your meal should rehydrate for 10-15 minutes in a pot.

Or

FBC: Bring your water to a boil and pour enough water in your bag to cover your meal with 1/2 inch of water. Let your meal sit in a cozy for about 25 minutes.

Add cheese and salsa and eat.

I prefer to eat the mix from a bowl and roll a tortilla up by itself.

Take a bite of meat and a bite of tortilla. It’s not nearly as messy.

• lconley01

Microwave Cake

Use any microwave cake like Cake in a Cup.

I mix the cake mix in a Plastic Ziplock screw top container per direction on the box.

Put in a pot of boiling water and steam the cake for about 10 minutes.

Remove and add topping in necessary.

• lconley01

Double Chocolate Dessert-

1-5.1 oz. box Chocolate INSTANT Pudding

15 Oreo cookies- crushed (more if you want them)

¾ cup NIDO powdered milk

At home-

Mix the pudding and powdered milk in a quart Ziplock

Put the crushed Oreos in another Ziplock 

At Camp-

Add 20 oz. water to the pudding mix and squeeze the Ziplock to mix

When pudding is the right consistency, cut off a corner and squeeze into your bowl

Top with the Oreo crumbs

For a smaller amount, use the 3.9 oz. pudding, ½ cup powdered milk, 15 oz. water

• jpmizell
    jpmizell Member Posts: 1

Granola is great, but this is Serious Food

I'm a big fan of the bagged-boiled-water meals and have found they save weight, dollars, and scale easily with caloric needs. Triple-Win! Below are three of my favorites based on my ability to buy ingredients on-demand from local grocers (I'm in CA) for a reasonable price, weigh them out quickly, and get going on my adventure!

Tomato Bacon Brown Rice (easiest to craft at 10PM the night before departure)

COMPLETE MEAL: 719.8 grams; Cost: $9.46, Calories: 1300, Fat: 63.7g, Cholesterol: 104.mg, Sodium: 1508mg, Carbohydrates: 109.2g, Protein: 59.8g

400 grams of Water (The Sierra Madre); Cost: $0, Calories: 0, Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 0mg, Carbohydrates: 0g, Protein: 0g

130 grams of Brown Rice (Minute); Cost: $0.82, Calories: 468, Fat: 3.9g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 0mg, Carbohydrates: 75.4g, Protein: 10.4g

36.4 grams of Sun Dried Tomatoes (California Sun-Dry); Cost: $1.49, Calories: 78, Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 52mg, Carbohydrates: 15.6g, Protein: 2.6g

72.8 grams of Sunflower Kernals (Safeway Select); Cost: $0.69, Calories: 416, Fat: 36.4g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 494.mg, Carbohydrates: 18.2g, Protein: 13g

26 grams of Parmesan Cheese (Kraft); Cost: $1.07, Calories: 104, Fat: 7.8g, Cholesterol: 26mg, Sodium: 416mg, Carbohydrates: 0g, Protein: 10.4g

54.6 grams of Uncured Bacon Bits (EPIC); Cost: $5.39, Calories: 234., Fat: 15.6g, Cholesterol: 78.mg, Sodium: 546.mg, Carbohydrates: 0g, Protein: 23.4g - Substitute vegan bacon, like Louisville Vegan Toppins', for an all-veggie-meal.

NotSoCrunch Couscous (easiest to eat dry, or cold, if you're in a pinch)

COMPLETE MEAL: 607.4 grams; Cost: $7.29, Calories: 736.5, Fat: 16.925g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 1257.5mg, Carbohydrates: 90.75g, Protein: 57.7g

400 grams of Water (The Sierra Madre); Cost: $0, Calories: 0, Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 0mg, Carbohydrates: 0g, Protein: 0g

56 grams of Couscous (Near East); Cost: $0.49, Calories: 200, Fat: 0.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 0mg, Carbohydrates: 42g, Protein: 7g

35 grams of Plant Based Chicken (Deliciou); Cost: $1.82, Calories: 130, Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 250mg, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 20g

37.8 grams of Vegan Bacon Bits (Louisville Vegan Toppins'); Cost: $2.66, Calories: 121.5, Fat: 6.075g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 526.5mg, Carbohydrates: 9.45g, Protein: 9.45g

40.6 grams of Dal Mix (indianlife); Cost: $1.32, Calories: 145, Fat: 4.35g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 116mg, Carbohydrates: 20.3g, Protein: 7.25g

23 grams of Dry Milk (Safeway Select); Cost: $0.38, Calories: 80, Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Sodium: 125mg, Carbohydrates: 12g, Protein: 8g

15 grams of Parmesan Cheese (Kraft); Cost: $0.62, Calories: 60, Fat: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 240mg, Carbohydrates: 0g, Protein: 6g

Chicken Chickpea Soup (my all around favorite!)

COMPLETE MEAL: 666.5 grams; Cost: $12.26, Calories: 1010, Fat: 37g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 1520mg, Carbohydrates: 102g, Protein: 82g

100 grams of Chickpea Rice (Banza); Cost: $1.98, Calories: 340, Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 140mg, Carbohydrates: 60g, Protein: 22g

70 grams of Plant Based Chicken (Deliciou); Cost: $3.65, Calories: 260, Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 500mg, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 40g

56 grams of Peanuts (Safeway Select); Cost: $0.49, Calories: 320, Fat: 28g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 340mg, Carbohydrates: 12g, Protein: 14g

28 grams of Sun Dried Tomatoes (California Sun-Dry); Cost: $1.15, Calories: 60, Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 40mg, Carbohydrates: 12g, Protein: 2g

10 grams of Dried Porcini Mushrooms (Mellssa's); Cost: $4.99, Calories: 30, Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 0mg, Carbohydrates: 4g, Protein: 4g

(TO TASTE) ~<1 grams of Herbs (); Cost: $0, Calories: 0, Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 0mg, Carbohydrates: 0g, Protein: 0g

(TO TASTE) ~<0.5 grams of Salt (); Cost: $0, Calories: 0, Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 500mg, Carbohydrates: 0g, Protein: 0g

(TO TASTE) ~<1 grams of Peper (); Cost: $0, Calories: 0, Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 0mg, Carbohydrates: 0g, Protein: 0g

I prepared each of these in batches of 3-5 'meals' (roughly 3000-50000 calories) and pack them easily in a small bear-bin. Then I can dose the quantities I want to eat each evening. Plus I can get away with re-using my cooking-bag for a couple days too. As an added bonus, add freshly grilled Sierra Trout or Slippery Jack Mushrooms to any of these meals to increase your maximum hearts. I hope you enjoy these meals as much as I do & hit me up if you have comments or improvements. https://blog.johnmizell.com/2023/02/26/granola-is-great-but-this-is-serious-food/

• MARK SIREK

@jpmizell This is awesome! THANK YOU!