1-3 Days On Skis On Trail

swbugas
swbugas Member Posts: 46

Four hours in and you see your line in the distance. You've wandered through frozen forests, the edges of slowly evolving glaciers, and gradually up the side of the looming giant you soon hope to ski down. It's exhilarating to watch as your work turns into an increasingly long, hard earned ski run.

-

All I can say is I'm absolutely fixated on more of the above. I'm itching for some really long days on some classic pursuits in the PNW. Which brings me to the recent reality that I really don't know where to start. I've done most of my skiing in the Baker Wilderness, or in the Mt. Hood backcountry, but I've never gone particularly deep. In fact, I've never put together a multi day tour, and I'm hoping to change that.

So what's the mission, and if applicable, who wants to join me? I'd love to hear your favorite 1-3 day touring objectives! I'm located in Seattle, and always down to drive a day to ski three (or two or one).

-

All of you have used this platform to help me gear up for snow camping, improve my layering system, motivate my photography, and so much more, but I keep feeling like the next step is meeting some of you in the places we all relate over, doing the activities we love the most. Let's go practice crevasse rescue or avi recovery training, it's all steps towards the common goal of seeing the world where it exhilarates us most!

I'm never one to lie, and I'll admit my experience out touring is limited enough that my near term exploits may need to be limited in scope. I need more avi training, I'd like to learn how to ski steeper, and I could always use more time self arresting. The truth, though, is that none of this happens without the time, the people, the places and the gear. Let's chat about all of the above and see where it takes us!

Answers

• Danimal
    Danimal Member Posts: 17

PLEASE stay alive and get more training on avalanche! Some resources for avalanche information and training include:

Local North West: https://nwac.us/

National Avalanche Center: https://avalanche.org/national-avalanche-center/

Also check on volunteering with your local National Ski Patrol. A great resource for medical, avalanche, and mountaineering training as well as a way to become more proficient in skiing without breaking the bank. https://www.nsp.org

Get outside, have fun, but live to ski another day.

• swbugas
    swbugas Member Posts: 46

I appreciate your concern, and thank you for the resources. I can add that I’m by know means new to avy training or planning. I should have been clearer in my post. My point is more about the desire to go further into that training. It’s a never ending, wildly valuable area to learn.

If you have any resources or recommendations about trails/routes, that would be much appreciated!

• Danimal
    Danimal Member Posts: 17

Right now my area seems to be limited to Southern California and the Sierras. I have been up Rainier a few times closer to your neck of the woods. I am glad to hear you are not heading out uninformed and you are willing to learn more. I am just a little apprehensive because of the number of rescues I have been involved in, many with a poor outcome. I am all for new exploration in the winter environment and do it at every chance I get. I hope you have many great multi day adventures and learn the value of building snow shelters for a base. Ski mountaineering rules. Happy trails!