Looking for feedback on an App I am building: Don't Forget The Spoon

TenDigitGrid
TenDigitGrid Member, Moderator Posts: 81
edited November 2022 in EXPERT ADVICE

I have been working on a building out a Hiking mobile app called Don't Forget The Spoon. The idea came to my wife an I while sitting in the cold snow in Yosemite National Park, the night before hiking up Clouds Rest. We had a long days worth of hiking in the cold to get to our campsite, set up and were ready for a nice warm meal.... but we both forgot to pack a spoon.

The app is a lot like lighter pack, if you are familiar with that, but designed first for mobile with a way to track your items as you pack for your trip. Also the app will help recommend lighter options to gear based off a crowd sourced database. I am adding to the database everyday, and this will get more useful overtime.

Since I am visual learner myself, this short YouTube Video gives a quick overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jteDKALFWWc

I am looking for some honest feedback. This is very much unpolished first stable releases. I have a lot more features on the roadmap to make it a useful tool for preparing for your trips. Hoping to get calorie planner out this week or next ;-)

If you give it a try please share your feedback with me, I am open to anything and have thick skin. Shout out to @bugglife for already providing me with some valuable feedback ;-)

You can download the app here:

Here are some screenshots as well:

Comments

• TenDigitGrid

Forgot to add this to the main post. But anyone who provides any type of feedback, in the next 30 days I will give you a free lifetime pro upgrade in the app :-)

Just shoot me a DM on here cause I will need to know the email addressers you registered with to grant you pro access.

• TenDigitGrid

Pushed out an update so you can now share links of your packs with your friends. Here is my photography winter hiking day pack I used in Big Bear California this past weekend: https://dfts.app/#?id=lVeSBUHoLX52zPqAiB9A

• TenDigitGrid

Cleaned up a lot of code and added a new feature to help you track calories as you add meals and snacks to your pack. Probably need to tweak the scale a bit but I was going off data from the book Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills and an interesting article on the REI Blog. Hoping to add more features like this to help people plan better for their adventures.

• Patch96
    Patch96 Member Posts: 25

I love the idea for this app. Lighter pack works good but I find it easy for my things to easily get unorganized on there. I think I have multiple entries for the same stove, quilt, etc. I like how with this you can add items to your locker and then build your kit from there for a specific trip.

The addition of being able to keep track of calories is an awesome idea. This would have been super helpful for me on the AT this year as I was almost always packing too much food.

Do food items get added in to the gear locker just like other gear items or am I doing something wrong? Maybe a separate section to have food items like a “fridge” or “cupboard” would be helpful.

thanks for sharing!

Here’s a picture of me trying to figure out what to do with my resupply in Pearisburg Virginia.

• TenDigitGrid

So glad you are giving it a try! As for the food items, they do get added to the gear locker as well. I do like the idea of making a fridge though!

When you add an item to your gear locker the item type should be set to "Meal" or "Snack" and then the Calories box will be available for you to type in. Hope that helps!

Pushed out a decent quality of life update this morning to both iOS and Android this morning to both app stores, so hopefully you got the latest version 1.0.27. If not keep an eye and update the app sometime today ;-)

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any other questions suggestions etc. I am all ears :-)

• Patch96
    Patch96 Member Posts: 25

Thank you for the tips! I just added a snack to play around with it. I did have one suggestion that came to mind. Maybe make it so that when you make an item a snack, it automatically becomes a consumable? After I added a back of Fritos to my pack I was confused why it was included in the base weight. Then I figured it out after digging into it a little more. I think the calorie scale could also go a little higher than 6,000 calories. That’s about the amount I was eating every day on the AT, and I’m sure there’s people out there who eat more than I do.

• TenDigitGrid

Appreciate the feedback! Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I was traveling a lot over the holidays then caught the tripledemic...

I have gotten this suggestion before and should be able to code that up pretty easily. I just finished coding a huge update...which is live on android right now. Should hopefully be live in iOS today... but depends on how long they take to approve it.

I will share some pictures once its live in both app stores, but its related to images :-)

• TenDigitGrid

Pushed out a new update last night that is now live on Android and should be live for iPhone soon. Added a small but useful feature:

Added the ability to duplicate a pack. This makes it easy if you have 80-90% of the same items in one pack vs another. This will especially help through hikers who have slight changes in equipment for different section of the PCT or AT.

• TenDigitGrid

Been coding a lot recently pushing out lots of updates :-)

Latest update live in Android and iOS app stores adds optimizations for larger screen sizes like tablets!