Where to buy/find used gear?

kilroy
kilroy Member Posts: 4

Any suggestions on where I can find lightly used backpacking gear? Specifically, I'm leaning toward a DCF flat tarp and groundsheet.

Prophet

Best Answers

• bugglife
    bugglife Member Posts: 98
    Answer ✓

Some of these may be obvious, but I'll include them anyway:

eBay

Facebook Marketplace

Geartrade.com

There may be other subreddits, but you can start here.

Local gear shops sometimes have days where people come and sell their used gear.

Used section at REI

Good luck on your search!

• sashaswashut
    sashaswashut Member Posts: 41
    Answer ✓

I know REI has a used gear section online that I would maybe try! Other suggestions:

EBAY, Marketplace and maybe try searching outdoor groups in your area on Facebook. Maybe Poshmark? I’ve found some used clothing items on there for cheap!

• petergierlach
    petergierlach Member Posts: 16
    Answer ✓

I agree with the above. Facebook Marketplace is a great option. You could also search in an "outdoorsy" area or city, as more people may be selling that gear. REI also has great used gear as well and they'll tell you exactly why it was returned which is super helpful.

• tina
    tina Member, Moderator Posts: 56
    Answer ✓

UL Geartrade on Reddit is legit, as well as the regular (not UL) gear trade. You've got a ton of nerdy folks trying out new things, making their own stuff, and getting rid of things as they upgrade. I know REI is starting a gear trade-in program (they're rebranding the entire "Garage Sale" thing) and hoping to make entire stand-alone stores of used gear, though it's just in pilot mode right now. They do have an online portal for it. Patagonia does the same on their site (worn wear.) I bet this site would also be a good place to find folks with nice gear to sell or trade!

• Naomibro
    Naomibro Member Posts: 92
    Answer ✓

Am super cheap. Several yrs ago, shopped at a Military Surplus Shop. For just a few bucks, I bought THE BEST pants, EVER. I reach for these pants in winter especially, as they are thicker, warmer and long enough.

These are Mens Cargo Tactical pants. These are cotton, made in US, and a very heavy garment; probably not suitable for UL. But for the price? GREAT for daily training or dog work (use pockets for treats).

These have many SEALABLE pockets, tough as heck and baggy enough to accommodate my long underwear, nasty critters, and thick socks. These pants have low enough pockets for my pack. The pants close with buttons, have belt loops and are super serviceable. They are also comfy. Super cheap. Held up over 20 years of daily use.

For the price, you may also want to consider their long underwear, belts and t shirts. Good quality; cheap prices.

I am female, 118 lbs, 5'6" and have not been able to buy CHEAP pants with lotsa pockets. HAVE TO BUY MENS PANTS.

Fjallraven dot com has nicer options for women, ditto the police or gun shop, but all their garments are very pricey. VERY.

Consider Military Cargo Pants.

Answers

• Naomibro
  • Naomibro

Also shop for all hiking, camping gear at Good Will. They frequently have amazing bargains! You are doing something good for you while blessing others with your purchase— its a win !!