iPhone 14 w/ Satellite Connectivity

tina
tina Member, Moderator Posts: 56

One of the biggest announcements that Apple made at its keynote address today was the inclusion of satellite connectivity on the newest iPhone models. As far as I know, this is the first cell phone to also act as a Garmin-type device. Hot damn, that'll save 3.5 ounces! 😂

Comments

• MARK SIREK
    MARK SIREK Administrator Posts: 293
    edited September 2022

@tina Any news about what's supposed to dangle off your shoulder strap in place of an inReach? I'm thinkin' -

• tina
  • Josh Stein
    Josh Stein Member Posts: 6

A thru-hiking tamagotchi. Imagine how many times you’d have to feed that thing…

• TenDigitGrid
    TenDigitGrid Member, Moderator Posts: 81

Awesome tech, super excited to see how it works! I work in the satellite industry so super nerding out 😁

I need to go look up the satellite constellation and frequency band they will operate on.

• tina

Please let us know what you find out @TenDigitGrid !

• ptmcgehee
    ptmcgehee Member Posts: 3

And I just bought an InReach… oh well

• tina

Well, the emergency function isn't active yet (Apple says November) and I don't know the extent to which it will replace an InReach. I don't think you will be able to use it for two-way messaging.

• jadesea
    jadesea Member Posts: 1

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact dedicated satellite devices are designed to maintain charge and functionality through greater temperature ranges.