Favorite backpacking breakfast

sashaswashut
sashaswashut Member Posts: 41

What is your go-to breakfast item while backpacking? I need some new/yummy ideas!

I seem to just do bars, so definitely looking for easy items. I do love pancakes, oatmeal, etc.!

Sasha

Comments

• quiggleryan
    quiggleryan Member Posts: 45

Breakfast is an important meal to have on the trail. My favorite is a granola and freeze dried raspberries or any type of berries mixture. I add granola to a bag then add the fruit and then I add some powdered milk. Then on the trail you just have to add some water and you are good to eat and drink it all up! It’s a great flavor and gives plenty of calories to start off the day!

• bugglife
    bugglife Member Posts: 98

When I want to be luxurious on a shorter day, or when I'm not in a huge hurry to get out of camp, I'll make breakfast burritos. Start with a freeze dried breakfast skillet. I like Mountain House best, but other brands will work. Even out on the trail, I think they leave something to be desired without any seasoning, but they are a good place to start. Here's what I like to add:

* Cheese - any kind will work, I prefer shredded cheese to get the best melt

* Bacon - I'll usually pre-cook a pound at home, and then add it to various meals

* Tapatio - of course other hot sauces will do if you prefer

Mix it up in the bag breakfast skillet bag, spread it on a tortilla, roll it up, and you're good to go. You can also add the hot sauce after you make the burrito if that's your jam.

I particularly like this meal as a brunch, after I've hiked a few miles, burnt a few calories, and am ready for more while I enjoy a nice view at a place where I don't plan to spend the night, but it also works as a breakfast if you have the time.

• petergierlach
    petergierlach Member Posts: 16

I usually go with instant oatmeal and a squirt of almond butter, coupled with "date bombs" that are dates filled with peanut butter and chocolate chips! Super delicious way to start the day.

• Jessicaholly88
    Jessicaholly88 Member Posts: 44

I love adding trail mix or freeze dried fruits to oatmeal! My favorite is banana and chocolate chips! even better if you can find some fresh berries along the way 😁

• Naomibro
    Naomibro Member Posts: 92

Ok, Ok. Dislike peanut butter but like other seed butters. Highly nutritional. Carry a bunch of these single serve, little packets of almond butter, bought at Health dept at HEB in Texas. Knead one up, tear off corner, squeeze into oatmeal, stir up (fancy!)

or open mouth, and go. Ya stay kinda clean too. Good calories. Dispose of wrapper appropriately later. Check teensy printed expiration date on packet, as these dry out. Easy to store; easy to use.