Backpacking Pillow

sashaswashut
sashaswashut Member Posts: 41

Hey hey!

what are your guys recommendations on a pillow for backpacking? I know, I know….it’s added weight lol BUT it’s a luxury item I feel like I need. I sleep horrible in a tent, and feel that having a pillow would help tremendously!

Thanks!!

Sasha

Comments

• Jessicaholly88
    Jessicaholly88 Member Posts: 44

I use a sierra madre pufflo, I also like having a pillow it makes such a difference for me when sleeping well! I think it weighs 300g!

• bergstromra
    bergstromra Member Posts: 20

Hey Sasha! I use the Air Head Lite pillow from Thermarest; weighs 2 oz and shows no signs of leakage after 2 years of use!

• nirwin
    nirwin Member Posts: 22

I use the HMG stuff sack pillow with a light-mid weigh down jacket. It's my 'go-to' pillow now. Try and make sure most things in my pack have 2 different uses. feels just like a normal pillow at home! Highly recommend it!

• katethewild
    katethewild Member, Moderator Posts: 23

Funny story- I headed into the backcountry prepared to use my mosquito headset stuffed with extra clothes as a pillow (have done this on a thru hike many nights before and found it to be comfortable and multifunctional). I was walking near Garnet Lake on the JMT and saw something floating in the water near the shore. At first I thought it was a water bottle, but it turns out it was a perfectly intact inflated pillow. I rescued said pillow and had a lovely sleep that night. After a quick google search just now I’ve found that it is the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow at 2.8oz. Not the lightest, but it was free and comfortable. The thing I like about it is that it doesn’t slide out from under my head like the silky covered or plastic pillows. I owned the Cocoon Air-Core Hyperlight pillow and took off the cover so it weighed less than 2 ounces. That lasted for awhile until it got a hole. BUT, you can use a stuff sack and stuff your puffy or extra clothes inside if you want to save weight.

• Naomibro
    Naomibro Member Posts: 92

The little "real"pillow is the one, stupid luxury item necessary for well-being, recuperation, avoiding twisted neck muscles. Inflatable ones suck, slip, make weird noises, uncomfortable, and take my energy to inflate. No. At the end of a day, I need good sleep. A piece of clothing wadded up does not work either.

Invest in quality camping pillow, roll it up inside your sleeping bag, and also several small, washable pillowcases made with silk. A "real" pillow does not weigh too much and greatly improves sleep, comfort, and recovery.

• sashaswashut
    sashaswashut Member Posts: 41

Thanks guys!!! Appreciate all the recommendations :)