Try a freeze-dryer!

Options
Naomibro
Naomibro Member Posts: 92

7/02/22: Used to buy pricey meals at local co op. Then I read label. Was spending mucho dinero on sodium and other useless crap. Why?

Two years ago, I bought a freeze dryer and all the dehydrating accoutrements. I spend the winter dehydrating. Yeah, It's a lotta work, but what are you gonna do? Nap or watch soap-operas?

Was able to experiment with foods and create own meals. It was SO, SO worth it!!!! Try! Good nutrition, LIGHT meals. There are lotsa on-line vendors selling quality dehydrated stuff to save some time, and you can shop co-ops for sales.

My most successful? cooked spaghetti and sauce--all dehydrated and awesome. How cheap is that? If you want more info, let me know: naomibro at gmail dot com.

Comments

• Naomibro
    Options

Able to purchase cheaper fruit to dehydrate that day. Sticky foods do better on parchment liners.

• MJA
    MJA Member Posts: 2
    Options

Agreed, I've been making my own food for a year now and there is no going back. I use a dehydrator. Where did you find a freeze drier? Make, model? How much was it? The ones I've looked at are pretty darn pricey.

• Naomibro
    Options

7/16

A good freeze dryer is pricey! So are the various things necessary to freeze dry; however, in the long run, you are cost-ahead per meal, reduce sodium, MSG and other unhealthy crud the human body hates. But, it's a lot of chopping' : for real, everything must be uniform-cut to freeze dry well.Invest in a super good knife.

Bought a Cosori -brand freeze dryer ( a few years ago after much research and returning to store the ones that did not work too well) . I mail ordered the Cosori from the vendor; then bought the vacuum-sealer, plastic bags, sealer, moisture-prevention packets, etc. at Target on sale after the Holidays.

There are lots of different construction options: some circular; some square.....You get what you pay for.

As we've so much summer humidity here, winter seems the best time and the electrons cheaper. In the Cosori, we prefer the sliding shelves

(like an oven ) inside and window on the door. Again, if you dry sticky foods, get some parchment paper liners. Practice and time....necessary

• Naomibro
    Options

7/19: For long-term storage, high humidity, and, most importantly, reduction of spoilage bacteria, fungi and other microscopic food eaters, make SURE to add some Oxygen-absorbing packets (there are different sizes, depending on your production) to your vacuum-sealed meals.

These little packets, which you have also to throw away and are not to be eaten, suck-up any O2 inside your freeze drying. If you place your carefully dehydrated food in a simple jar or baggie, and there is ANY air, you run the risk of food spoilage and illness.

• Naomibro
    Options

Try Harvest Right dot com for freeze dryers. Make sure you are sitting when you see the retail cost. That company occasionally has sales also selling returns. They also have some good tutorials.

• sashaswashut
    sashaswashut Member Posts: 41
    Options

I have a Harvest Right and absolutely love it. My husband and I have been making freeze dried meals for the past few years. We love it, and highly recommend it. It is pricey, but totally worth it- especially if you do a lot of backpacking. I mean, I also use mine day hiking too. Nothing like a hot meal after a long day hiking! My favorite meals we have made so far:

Chicken tortilla soup, chili, teriyaki chicken + rice, and then what we call a “chipotle” bowl (just rice, beans and chicken!). We have also freeze dried fruit and it’s honestly the best snack! Pineapple is our fave!

• Naomibro
    Options

7/19

S: So glad you like your Harvest Right and use it for backpacking. Good for you! They have a super helpful web site!

May I ask: what size and color is your HR?

Do you find the motor maintenance much work or loud?

• Naomibro
    Options

We like GreenBelly too. Good nutrition; very handy. However, they are pricey and for emergencies only.

We take our time, practice the discipline necessary to dehydrate our own food and listen to NPR.

Yes, we are total nerds.

We are chemists, geneticists, and engineers. We soberly approached the whole thing as a NASA science project.

Jeez!

We (pathetically) even made a spread sheets for costs. Doing the dehydrating ourselves paid for our dehydrator and stuff needed. The digits of home made costs versus store-bought costs

were clear to our simple minds.