What do you keep your water in?

sashaswashut
sashaswashut Member Posts: 41

For the past 5+ years I’ve been carrying my water in either a Hydro Flask or water bladder. Hydro Flasks are definitely heavy, so adds more weight of course. Just curious how you pack/carry your water?

I just got one of the water carriers from Hyperlite, so I plan to change things up and maybe just carry a water bottle (Smart Water), and then bring my water filter to fill up the bottle as I go.

So are you someone who:

1. Carries a water bladder
  2. Some sort of Hydro Flask/Yeti container
  3. Plastic water bottle + filter
  4. OTHER

Thanks!

Sasha

Comments

• Naomibro
    Naomibro Member Posts: 92

7/09: Carry Two types for H20: 9

1. internal bladder;
    2. two Nalgene bottles

The Nalgene bottles, which are stored in packs's left and right side, are hard for me to access; the internal 2L bladder keeps me hydrated. I keep it scrupulously clean It's always washed with dish soap and once in a while when home, soaked in diluted Chlorox. Ditto straw, lid and mouthpiece. I'vebeen felled by Girardia--- very VERY sick-- so paranoid about being 100% sanitary. I even filter my water wearing disposable, surgical gloves. The Nalgene bottles have a hydration mix inside and are easy to clean; the bladder is NOT easy to clean, so it's always holds water only. straw and mouthpiece hard to place correctly.

• Naomibro

Always carry emergency water sanitation tablets.

• Jessicaholly88
    Jessicaholly88 Member Posts: 44

I carry 2 nalgene bottles with me, they are a great size!

I used to always use a bladder but they always end up so dirty and I find them difficult to clean properly!

• sashaswashut
    sashaswashut Member Posts: 41

@Jessicaholly88 @Naomibro Thanks guys! I’m think Nalgene bottles would be great. And I agree, keeping bladders clean is difficult.

• MARK SIREK
    MARK SIREK Administrator Posts: 293

@sashaswashut

Last year I bought two of THESE and one of THESE. The CNOCs are clutch because filling them is so easy with the wide, open end, and most replacement hoses screw right on to the threaded end. When I get back from a trip, I blow all the water out of the hose into the bladder, then wedge an old library card in the opening so it stays open. Then I let it hang upside down til the next time I head out. Why two? And what's up with the blue collet? This is where the "work smarter not harder" part comes in. With a Sharpie, label one CNOC "clean" and one "dirty." Fill up one CNOC with dirty water, attach a Sawyer Squeeze to the end. Use the coupler to attach the clean bag to the end of the Sawyer. Hang them from a tree and let gravity filter the dirty water through the Sawyer - bam! Bag of clean water while you're off setting up camp. Keep the whole set up in a small drawstring stuff sack. Nice, light, and compact. Been super stoked on this rig!

• TenDigitGrid
    TenDigitGrid Member, Moderator Posts: 81

Nalgene and nothing else... I know its not near the lightest option but water is life on the trail.

I have popped way to many water bladders. Unfortunately if I am in Joshua tree where there are zero water sources and I have to pack a few gallons then I will use a large MSR bladder for transport.

But yea for the most part I love my Nalgene :-)

• Naomibro

7/11

The photo is the tablet used in my water bladder. It's biodegradable, not the carton. The tablet, available from REI and other vendors is called Bottle Bright.

• lwilliams
    lwilliams Member Posts: 3

What size Nalgene are you all carrying?

• TenDigitGrid
    TenDigitGrid Member, Moderator Posts: 81

48 Oz Nalgene. Usually take one 48 0z and one 32 oz. But depends on the trip and how much I need to carry on me.

• tina
    tina Member, Moderator Posts: 56

Seconded the CNOC recommendation; I've used both the 2 and 3L options. The 3L is great for a relatively dry trail like the PCT. After that, it's Smartwater bottles or collapsable Platty pouches. This is also one reason why I splurged on the Vargo Bot, which is a cookpot with a screw-on lid that can also carry 1L of water.

• petergierlach
    petergierlach Member Posts: 16

I always carry a water bladder. I use the Platypus so I can store 4L if necessary. Honestly I know it's on the heavier side, but I don't mind having more than enough water and it's worth the weight to me.

• bugglife
    bugglife Member Posts: 98

No longer a nalgene guy because the smartwater bottles are so much lighter. But voting up for the MSR bladder suggestion, especially in desert places where big water carries are a must. The 6L version fits very nicely in a 4400 sized pack, and the 4L version fits nicely in the 2400 and 3400 diameter.

• bugglife
    bugglife Member Posts: 98

Lots of good comments here, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned but matters to me is that I do not enjoy sucking water out of a bladder. It's kind of like the hydration version of blowing up a sleeping pad. Is it the worst? no. Is there a better option? Absolutely. I much prefer pouring water down my gullet, so my main water containers are smart water bottles or a collapsable platypus. Yes, bottles in side (or back!) pockets are sometimes hard to retrieve, but I almost always have friends on the trail with me. I help them get their bottles, and they do the same for me.

• sticknstones
    sticknstones Member Posts: 1

I use a 2 liter CNOC for dirty water and various lightweight plastic drinking water bottles. The bottles vary in number depending on the types of water carries.

• MCornelsen
    MCornelsen Member Posts: 3

Team CNOC+Sawyer and smartwater bottle here. Use the sawyer blue coupler to turn it into a gravity feed for when you can't squeeze.

• MARK SIREK
    MARK SIREK Administrator Posts: 293

@MCornelsen All hail the blue coupler!

• Woodstock
    Woodstock Member Posts: 7

Nalgene bottles.

• katethewild
    katethewild Member, Moderator Posts: 23

For thru hiking I've found the most durable lightweight options to be 1L Smartwater bottles (yes, they last forever), and the Platypus 2L Flask for dirty water/longer water carries/dry camping. I have a CNOC, but the Platypus works just fine and is a little less complicated imo. I second what Tina said- the Vargo Bot is a great water vessel, bought my partner one for Christmas... might have to steal it! I also use these bottles for day hiking- lightweight and convenient especially with the sport cap.