What is your favorite vegetarian or vegan backpacking meal?

skyestoury
skyestoury Member Posts: 36

Vegetarian here (but vegan a lot of the time), and looking to start making more of my own backpacking meals. What is your go to veg or vegan meal for on the trail? I'd love some new options that other athletes on here enjoy!

Also, I'm interested in the Repack for backpacking but not sure how much I would use it. If you have it and love it, what all do you use it for, and what recipes do you make to heat in it? I normally take freeze dried food bags for backpacking but love the idea of making my own meals. I just want to hear from others how it works and how you like it. Is it worth the extra weight of carrying that plus food? I know it's light but every ounce counts.

Best Answer

• petergierlach
    petergierlach Member Posts: 16
    Answer ✓

Hey! I'm vegan and love the vegan options of the Good to Go meals. They're really filling and taste awesome.

I also bring a lot of Larabars on my backpacking trips, as well as "date bombs". This is where I fill a medjool date with peanutbutter and chocolate chips. They taste SO good and provide a ton of fiber and protein. Very helpful on the trail.

In addition I make sure to pack dried fruit and, believe it or need, dried seaweed! Great way to get greens in and that extra nutrition.

I wrote an article about my favorite vegan backpacking foods so hopefully that helps as well if you have time!

Good luck and have fun!

Answers

• movewithmurph
    movewithmurph Member Posts: 7

Hey! My Favourite backcountry dinner is couscous with red split lentils. I also toss in a curry stock cube made by S & B brand. You can simmer the lentil for around 10 minutes, or bring them to a boil and toss a lid on it and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes while you set up camp. for a healthier option go with whole wheat couscous. If you wanna cold soak it go with TVP instead of lentils.

Heres a video of me making this recipe https://youtu.be/i1wY8OFaozk I use continental soup packets in this becaause I had not found the curry cubes yet lol.

• tina
    tina Member, Moderator Posts: 56

Patagonia Provisions are deceptively filling for such a small size and have lentil options as well as kamut grains. I also love Dozen Cousins for adding some additional protein, although they're a bit heavy at 10 oz. Food for Sole is probably my favorite dehydrated food producer, as they feature meals with a ton of actual vegetables (kale, sweet potato, etc.) Good 2 Go also has a lot of vegetarian options, though I don't like their flavors quite as much for the $.

• tina
    tina Member, Moderator Posts: 56

But if you're talking about making your own, lentils, rice, and/or dehydrated beans are the way to go! Cheap, easy to pack, easy to rehydrate, filling without being fussy. I usually pack out some fresh vegetables to enjoy in my first night's dinner out of town.

• Jessicaholly88
    Jessicaholly88 Member Posts: 44

Hey I'm vegetarian and I always carry rice and curry cubes with me and then freeze dry anything else that I want to add to the meal it's always tasty and doesn't weigh too much in your pack!

• katethewild
    katethewild Member, Moderator Posts: 23

This might sound like a lot of effort, but it's super easy if you have the time and the equipment- I precook and dehydrate brown rice or GF pasta so that it can cold soak or quick hot soak. I also add in home dehydrated tomatoes, green beans, zucchini... add dehydrated parsley and capers if you want it extra fancy. Bring a packet of olive oil, s&p, packet of olives or artichokes and some cheese and you have a relatively cheap and fancy pasta salad. I vacuum seal for longer shelf life.

• DanM
    DanM Member Posts: 6

If you're looking to buy, I highly recommend Outdoor Herbivore! (https://outdoorherbivore.com/). I was introduced to it by another vegan buddy and was actually looking forward to dinners. They have tons of flavour and even if you're looking to make your own (I"m starting to as well), these meals can give some inspiration!

• skyestoury

@DanM those meals look amazing, thank you!

• skyestoury

@katethewild that looks amazing! I don't have a dehydrator but this makes me want one.

• kimcowan
    kimcowan Member Posts: 1

We just started backpacking and also making and dehydrating our own meals. We just got back from car camping and tested out some dehydrated receipes. Chickpea curry, ratatouille with rice and black lentil chili were hits. The mac and cheese with vegetables were not a hit (cheese powder didn't do it for us and maybe the kale was a bad choice to include. We bought a Cosori dehydrator. Husband wants to do main meals this way even for car camping going forward. So much more relaxing than the full scale cooking we normally do at camp. Definitely going to try the pasta salad from katethewild from above!

• wilco
    wilco Member Posts: 1

Check out backcountryfoodie.com...All of her recipes are vegan | vegetarian. There is a small annual fee, but worth the money in my opinion.

• Woodstock
    Woodstock Member Posts: 7

I like Peak Refuel Butternut Dal Bhat. Also want to experiment with quinoa flakes and dehydrated chickpea flakes.

• Naomibro
    Naomibro Member Posts: 92

To our taste buds, too much quinoa flakes provides a "soapy" taste. Grand, loaded with proteins. Only place I can find them is (pricey) at Bobs Red Mill mail order.

• MCornelsen
    MCornelsen Member Posts: 3

I just recently adapted this recipe from The Hungry Spork. It is savory and rich without being overpowering, plus it has a really good nutritional profile and is cold soak adaptable. You can sub dehydrated or fresh broccoli slaw or kale instead of cabbage.

• Naomibro

8/5 Food is heavy. yuck.

You can purchase nut butters from your grocery store in small, sealed packets. Check expiration dates, as few sold. You can also buy these on-line. Each nut has different color packet.

Tunas from name-brands in foil packets. Some Tunas already seasoned. Tear 'em open and chow down. It's just calories. Mix nut butter into oatmeals.

Also sold in grocery stores packets by "Tasty Bite" Indian lentils. Yes, pricey, but does in a pinch.

Low-sodium bullion cubes from health stores mixed with cooked rices, pastas in a sealed bag are handy. Raisins. Better than Milk- a dried powder; wrapped, high calorie nutrition bars; wrapped hard cheese. Have you tried dates? Cooked beans. Small packets of olive oil.

There can be lotsa trash, so be prepared to LNT.

Convenience is pricey, all items easily replicated at home much cheaper. We like Scottish oatmeals for bkfsts; Bananas good, have own wrapper.

Cooking takes your time, focus, and energy, however. At high altitude, longer.

Learn using wooden chopsticks- much lighter- multi-purposes. Toss when done.

• Naomibro