Pemmican ?

Options
Naomibro
Naomibro Member Posts: 92

What is your experience with pemmican? Please share the climate.

Comments

• Bjørn
    Bjørn Member Posts: 5
    Options

Pemmican has become my number one staple food on wilderness trips over the last several years. I use it for my main meal at the end of the day by reconstituting it into a soup, but I also eat it uncooked. I can't recommend this nutrient-dense food enough. It's delicious and I never tire of eating it. This is a great article, which contains a recipe very similar to the one I follow.

https://carnivoreaurelius.com/pemmican/

• Naomibro
    Options

Thanks!

appreciate your your help. Can you please share what climate(s) youve carried and/ or consumed?

• Bjørn
    Bjørn Member Posts: 5
    Options

I live in Alaska and undertake trips in all seasons. In the summer, I have had my pemmican along on trips that reach daytime temperatures around 70º. As long as I use ruminant animal fat, the pemmican doesn't turn liquid nor messy, but I do keep it in ziploc bags.

• Naomibro
    Options

10/09

Thank you for your reply. Have not had the good fortune you have had. Agreed, it IS a nutritionally dense food and easy to carry; however, mine kept turning greasy and unappetizing. I tried different types of tallows. "What do bears eat?". I kept thinking on the Colorado Trail. ".....fat and berries." My anxious brain kept saying.

although well-wrapped, a solid grease stain oozed into my pack and I was certain the mammals around followed me due to the odor.

When I ate it, the fat seemed to coat my mouth; it may have been too "wet" even though I dehydrated it and drank oodles of water. It was probably too hot for it. I did not develop a taste for it and spent lots of time and expensive ingredients making it.