Camera Equipment in the Extreme

swbugas
swbugas Portland, ORMember Posts: 19

Over the last three to four years, I've become 200% addicted to photography. It's the process, the result, really everything about it. Between rock climbing, mountaineering, backpacking, pack rafting and a lot of the spaces in between, I've carried my camera close to everywhere I've been. Somehow, though, I've neglected to improve my system of camera in bag or camera hanging on my shoulder strap. Both systems lead to pain or damage to me and my equipment.

With this in mind, my question is how do you carry your camera equipment? I haven't had the opportunity to try the HMG camera pod, but I'm incredibly interested. Do you have feedback on the camera pod, or any other creative solutions?

Don't get me wrong, I would let my camera gear drag me to the ground before I even think of leaving it at home, and there's a level of pride in suffering for the opportunity shoot. I definitely have an open mind to an improved system, though!

• Picture to show where I'm absolutely happiest with my equipment... I'd love to see where you guys are happiest with your equipment too! Extra points for posting pictures with the HMG camera pod

Comments

• mikesee
    mikesee IderhoeMember Posts: 5

I like the Pod on my chest when mountain biking or backpacking.

I use the Pod inside of a lap bag (inside of a waterproof bag) when packrafting.

• danofosho
    danofosho New YorkMember Posts: 6

The best alternative to the Pod is probably the Peak Design camera clip. It's relatively cheap and extremely versatile but it's a tradeoff between quick access and protection from the elements.

It is sold with a second set of screws for thicker strap locations so fitting onto a hyperlite bag's padded shoulder strap is no problem (see my left strap in the attached photo).

• swbugas
    swbugas Portland, ORMember Posts: 19

@danofosho that's actually exactly what I use now! I love it 90% of the time, but even with a smaller lens, I find an imbalance, and some shoulder pain, after a full day climbing. I've used my capture clip for a 15 hour climb, and was wrecked with shoulder discomfort by the end haha. I don't know if there's really a perfect solution...

• nirwin
    nirwin UkMember Posts: 19

I used to use the Peak Design should strap mount, but it really did imbalance the weigh on my shoulders. Had to get rid of it. That's why I always now use a chest bag for my camera. Balances the load, easy access, and can put the camera away easily in adverse conditions. The only down side being is that depending on the camera pouch (I have 3 now), the pouch can block the sight of your feet which can be annoying if in tricky uneven terrain.

• bugglife
    bugglife Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 30

Excellent question. I am also looking forward to getting a Hyperlite camera pod and putting it to the test. One of my big hesitations was that I thought I had read that it wouldn't fit a full size DSLR and pro lens, but I think I was wrong about that. What I have tried:

The Peak Design camera clip works well if your camera isn't too heavy. If I bring my Sony RX100, it's pretty perfect. I mostly do desert things, so I seldom have to worry about water/rain. It leave the camera very accessible, which is great for shooting, but sometimes an issue if I'm scrambling, or put my pack down, and the camera can get scratched/bumped/etc. I have been able to use the regular screws (not long screws) to affix it to my shoulder straps.

One option that I feel like is very underrated is the Cotton Carrier (pictured below). Plusses and minuses are:

+ Even distribution on both shoulders. Sturdy, camera isn't going anywhere you don't want it to. Easy of access.

- Might not be able to see feet. Heavy (about 1lb).

Neutral: Can be hot (could be good or bad depending on your location / weather.